First article in a four-part series.
The IMS to SQL migration is broken down into two phases :
- the first phase is the creation of the new database (Oracle, DB2...) that offers the advantages of the SQL language and the migration of the data.
The most common data breaches that companies have to face are :
- Stolen data / hacked (from inside or outside sources)
- Administrative errors (human operator mistakes)
- Mistakenly online exposition (insufficient protection or application vulnerabilities)
- Visual hacking (workers accessing data from their mobile or personal devices)
- Data loss (malwares, espionage)
An introduction to data quality
According to a survey from InformationWeek Analytics*, data quality in 2015 is «still the No. 1 "barrier to success" cited by both Business Intelligence and analytics types and information management professionals».
Analogy between a whisky distillery and data management
The similitudes don't typically jump out, do they? But you'll quickly see the point.
On one side, in a whisky distillery we have engineers who build the tubings and alembics and such (the containers), and biologists who are in charge of taking care of the many processes leading to the final product (the content). It's all about measuring the quality and tasting.